FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New Ask For Joy release: Hand Tame EP

<<

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:03 am

New Ask For Joy release: Hand Tame EP

Hello friends,

I just wanted to take a moment of your time to announce Hand Tame, a new EP from Austin, Texas based Ask For Joy, available as a free download from Bandcamp. I wrote a few words about the EP below. If you like the music, please feel free to spread it to interesting parties. Thank you very much, and I hope you enjoy! Gaze on, friends.
- Aaron (Ask For Joy)

ASK FOR JOY - HAND TAME EP (2012)

From the first line of opening track 'Summer Getaway (I Got The Beach)'--I need a summer getaway--to the last line of EP closer 'Dragonflies'--Maybe I could fly away--Hand Tame's overarching theme is a longing to escape: the desire to leave the everyday behind and pursue the places, the loves, and the life of one's dreams, and the danger we encounter along the way.

Lovingly mastered by Darren Emanuel (Drowner), Hand Tame's four tracks layer fat analog keyboards and crunchy, reverberated guitars over tight drum machines, sweet harmonies and spacey sparkles, giving the EP a daydreamy, viscous and otherworldly feel that evokes the call to escape.

Hand Tame features shoegaze-meets-indie opener 'Summer Getaway (I Got The Beach)', which sets the perfect scene for a last long weekend road trip; the JAMC-inspired psychedelic fuzzout 'Hey Tracey'; and Tom Petty's top-30 1991 single 'Learning To Fly' reimagined as a peppy slice of dreampop. The EP closes with 'Dragonflies', unfolding slowly, euphorically, then exploding into heavy guitars and drums as the lyrics contemplate the possibility of joining lives with the titular insect.

This is Ask For Joy's second EP release of 2012. Hand Tame comes on the heels of February's Safe Words EP, ranked among blog Shoegazer Alive's Top 25 Shoegaze EPs of the first half of 2012 and featured on When The Sun Hits and The Janglebox.

<<

hoky

Shoegazophile

Has thanked: 154
Have thanks: 1062

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: New Ask For Joy release: Hand Tame EP

Hi Aaron,

thank you too. Like I said on twitter, the feeling on this EP is new again (IMO). While I'd love to see 2nd AFJ's "LP", maybe it's not a bad idea to stick with them (ep's). In your case it's not just about number of random tracks being placed on such release. Every one of them is a bit different (Swoon, Space, Coma ...). Still it's always AFJ. That's how it should be but is not (nowadays).

It's probably a shame but it took me like 30 minutes to recall "Learning to Fly" was actually Tom Petty's piece. I knew it was a cover version but could not figure of who.

I was wondering if you had any plans for "Fentanyl" track. Would be cool to have that one in flac as well (not that CDBaby, iTunes file was bad).

Good luck with the EP. Wish you many downloads (even though that will mean you will either have to start charging people or you'll have to buy more credits on your own ha ha).

Milos

P.S. Believe me I am not the only one here hoping you'll find your old HDD with Swoon masters :D.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:28 pm.
File reposting is against the rules. I don't care what happens with older (out of print) stuff though but if you repost any new album that I shared to major tracker or public blog, you'll be banned. Respect the bands, respect the community. Thanks.

Return to Latest News / Shows